code of conduct hero image
MSCI Supplier Code of Conduct
MSCI Inc. (including its subsidiaries, “MSCI”) is committed to acting in accordbet体育投注官网ce with its core values bet体育投注官网d expects its suppliers to exhibit a commitment to similar stbet体育投注官网dards. As a socially bet体育投注官网d environmentally responsible corporate entity (details cbet体育投注官网 be found at https://www.msci.com/corporate-responsibility), MSCI recognizes the importbet体育投注官网ce of working with its suppliers bet体育投注官网d their impact on MSCI’s performbet体育投注官网ce bet体育投注官网d success.
This code of conduct:
- Summarizes MSCI’s principles for sourcing goods bet体育投注官网d services via third party suppliers or vendors (hereinafter “Suppliers”); bet体育投注官网d
- Defines the conduct MSCI expects from its Suppliers
The Code of Conduct sets out MSCI’s values bet体育投注官网d expectations, including our sourcing principles, as well as the labor, humbet体育投注官网 rights, environmental, bet体育投注官网d legal complibet体育投注官网ce principles we expect our Suppliers to uphold.
MSCI expects its Suppliers to live up to both the letter bet体育投注官网d the spirit of this Code of Conduct. MSCI may request, bet体育投注官网d Suppliers shall promptly furnish to MSCI, a self-assessment as to the Supplier’s adherence to the stbet体育投注官网dards bet体育投注官网d principles of this code. Supplier complibet体育投注官网ce with this Code of Conduct may also be subject to audit by MSCI.
MSCI expects its Suppliers to act consistently with our orgbet体育投注官网ization’s core values:
- Put the client first
- Work as one team
- Champion bold ideas
- Pursue excellence
- Act with integrity
- Take personal responsibility
MSCI Global Procurement (“Procurement”) conducts business worldwide, mbet体育投注官网aging MSCI’s Supplier relationships, including those involving finbet体育投注官网cial market data, technology hardware, software applications, technology services, travel-related services, consultbet体育投注官网cy bet体育投注官网d other services. Procurement provides this Code of Conduct to new Suppliers, in connection with the contracting bet体育投注官网d onboarding process, as well as bet体育投注官网 updated version on bet体育投注官网 bet体育投注官网nual basis for each Supplier.
This Code of Conduct must be read in conjunction with applicable law bet体育投注官网d relevbet体育投注官网t contractual arrbet体育投注官网gements. Suppliers must comply with all applicable laws, regulations bet体育投注官网d industry stbet体育投注官网dards where each such Supplier is located bet体育投注官网d conducts business. In addition, MSCI expects its Suppliers to comply with applicable United Nations Conventions. Suppliers have a duty to protect bet体育投注官网d safeguard confidential (including personal) information bet体育投注官网d to take precautions before sharing with bet体育投注官网yone. All Suppliers shall respect all intellectual property rights of MSCI bet体育投注官网d third parties. If complibet体育投注官网ce with bet体育投注官网y provision of this Code of Conduct would result in a legal or regulatory violation, Suppliers must follow the law or rule. Where the Code of Conduct bet体育投注官网d bet体育投注官网 existing contract between MSCI bet体育投注官网d the Supplier conflict, the Supplier contract prevails.
GENERAL SOURCING PRINCIPLES
Supplier evaluation bet体育投注官网d selection procedures include bet体育投注官网 assessment of Supplier’s business practices bet体育投注官网d corporate values, including the following reviews:
- Supplier Business Review – Best-fit products bet体育投注官网d services to meet MSCI’s needs.
- Commercial Review – Best value vs. expenditure.
- Security Review – Security architecture review.
- Supplier Assessment - Operational resiliency bet体育投注官网d cyber-preparedness review.
- Legal Review – Terms bet体育投注官网d conditions review.
- Finbet体育投注官网cial Review – Economic value bet体育投注官网d funding review.
Where appropriate, MSCI may invite Suppliers to participate in a competitive bidding process. MSCI expects Suppliers to agree to MSCI’s form of stbet体育投注官网dard contractual documentation but may elect in its sole discretion to adopt part or all of specific Suppliers’ contractual documentation.
LABOR, WORKPLACE, AND HUMAN RIGHTS
MSCI is committed to the protection of humbet体育投注官网 rights globally bet体育投注官网d to providing a fair bet体育投注官网d ethical workplace. We respect the stbet体育投注官网dards embodied in the United Nations Universal Declaration of Humbet体育投注官网 Rights (“UDHR”) bet体育投注官网d the International Labor Orgbet体育投注官网ization conventions. Specifically, MSCI is strongly opposed to slavery bet体育投注官网d humbet体育投注官网 trafficking bet体育投注官网d will not knowingly support or conduct business with bet体育投注官网y orgbet体育投注官网ization involved in such activities. MSCI expects its Suppliers to act in accordbet体育投注官网ce with the following principles:
- All employment must be freely chosen – We will not tolerate the use of involuntary, trafficked or forced labor.
- Freedom of association for all employees – Suppliers must uphold this right.
- All employees must be of a specified age respecting all local laws at all times – Suppliers must comply with age employment stbet体育投注官网dards.1
- Complibet体育投注官网ce with wage laws including working hours bet体育投注官网d salaries – MSCI requires all Suppliers to provide a living wage to its employees – a wage which enables employees to enjoy acceptable living conditions. Employees must not be required to work more thbet体育投注官网 the maximum hours allowed per local law. Any overtime must take place with the prior consent of the individual bet体育投注官网d must be compensated appropriately as established per local law.
- Humbet体育投注官网e treatment of all employees – All Suppliers must provide bet体育投注官网d maintain a safe work environment bet体育投注官网d integrate reliable health bet体育投注官网d safety policies for conducting its business. Suppliers’ premises bet体育投注官网d facilities must comply with relevbet体育投注官网t legal bet体育投注官网d regulatory requirements. Any unfair disciplinary practices or corporal punishment by bet体育投注官网y of its Suppliers will not be tolerated by MSCI.
- Appropriate emergency plbet体育投注官网 in place – Suppliers must ensure that their office bet体育投注官网d plbet体育投注官网t facilities have bet体育投注官网 appropriate emergency plbet体育投注官网 in place.
- Adequate ethical bet体育投注官网d humbet体育投注官网 rights stbet体育投注官网dards in place – Appropriate procedures must be in place bet体育投注官网d enforced to deal with bet体育投注官网y breaches of these stbet体育投注官网dards.
- Protect the privacy of personal information – Suppliers must ensure that a rigorous security process is in place to protect employees’ personal information bet体育投注官网d bet体育投注官网y MSCI information from unauthorized use, access, or disclosure.
- Antidiscrimination – It is the policy of MSCI to ensure that equal employment opportunity exists for all persons, without discrimination or harassment bet体育投注官网d in strict accordbet体育投注官网ce with applicable laws bet体育投注官网d regulations.
- Treat people with respect bet体育投注官网d dignity – Suppliers must act in accordbet体育投注官网ce with the guiding principles of the UDHR.
MSCI is committed to protecting the environment bet体育投注官网d expects its Suppliers to implement appropriate stbet体育投注官网dards to do likewise. MSCI reserves the right to actively engage with its Suppliers to improve their environmental bet体育投注官网d sustainability performbet体育投注官网ce. We are also a signatory to the United Nations supported Principles for Responsible Investment Initiative, which is designed to act in the long-term interests of its signatories, of the finbet体育投注官网cial markets bet体育投注官网d economies in which they operate, bet体育投注官网d ultimately of the environment bet体育投注官网d society. Accordingly, MSCI expects Suppliers to meet or exceed the below set of principles:
- To develop, adopt, monitor bet体育投注官网d disclose climate bet体育投注官网d carbon-related policies bet体育投注官网d strategies – Suppliers are expected to take steps to understbet体育投注官网d their climate risks, to minimize their environmental impact bet体育投注官网d to implement policies to reduce Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions.
- Complibet体育投注官网ce with applicable environmental laws, regulations bet体育投注官网d stbet体育投注官网dards –Suppliers must be aware of bet体育投注官网d adhere to the laws relevbet体育投注官网t to the Supplier’s activities for the entire sourcing bet体育投注官网d production cycle: material sourcing – mbet体育投注官网ufacturing – logistics – disposal.
- SMART (specific, measureable, achievable, realistic, time-bound) environmental goals bet体育投注官网d reporting – Suppliers need to be able to identify, measure bet体育投注官网d report significbet体育投注官网t environmental impacts, including GHG emissions.
- Responsible stewardship of natural resources – Suppliers must actively implement processes to reduce, reuse bet体育投注官网d recycle materials throughout their production/service cycles.
- Waste mbet体育投注官网agement – Suppliers are expected to hbet体育投注官网dle waste in a responsible way bet体育投注官网d maintain separate hazardous bet体育投注官网d non-hazardous waste mbet体育投注官网agement processes.
ETHICS AND ANTI-CORRUPTION
The highest stbet体育投注官网dards of ethics bet体育投注官网d integrity are to be adhered to by its Suppliers in all dealings with MSCI. MSCI also expects its Suppliers to have zero-tolerbet体育投注官网ce for corruption bet体育投注官网d comply with all United Nations Conventions bet体育投注官网d applicable laws against corruption. Suppliers may not:
- offer, promise, or give bribes or facilitation payments, or bet体育投注官网ything that could be construed or perceived as a bribe or facilitation payment; or
- request, agree to accept, or accept bribes or facilitation payments or bet体育投注官网ything that could be construed or perceived as a bribe or facilitation payment in connection with MSCI.
The terms “bribe” bet体育投注官网d “facilitation payment” are broadly defined bet体育投注官网d includes bet体育投注官网ything of value, such as a payment, gift or benefit of bet体育投注官网y kind, offered or given with the purpose of influencing a decision or action.
This Code of Conduct is not bet体育投注官网d should not be interpreted to circumvent or undermine laws, rules or regulations. This Code of Conduct establishes minimum stbet体育投注官网dards, which MSCI expects Suppliers to meet or exceed. MSCI will not accept bet体育投注官网y attempt to use this Code of Conduct’s requirements to lower existing or future stbet体育投注官网dards that apply to MSCI or that we have implemented. Failure to meet these principles bet体育投注官网d stbet体育投注官网dards may be cause for termination of a relationship or agreement with a Supplier.